C4DISC is seeking a part-time contractor to assist with carrying out day-to-day business of the growing organization and ensure the community is accomplishing its goals. The position overview and key responsibilities are listed below along with the professional qualities that are essential to performing the work. Successful candidates will have a strong commitment to advancing DE&I in scholarly communications. Applications are due by November 25. Please share this posting with your network if you know someone who might be a good fit.
The C4DISC Community Administrator is a part-time contractor role estimated as 8-10 hours of activity per week with the workload varying from week to week. The role of the administrator is to carry out the day-to-day business of C4DISC and ensure the community is accomplishing its goals. The administrator serves as an ex-officio member of the C4DISC steering committee and reports to the C4DISC convenor and the host organizations.
The Coalition for Diversity and Inclusion in Scholarly Communications (C4DISC) is an international alliance of scholarly communications organizations that is collaborating to work towards a common goal of increasing diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility in scholarly communications while valuing differences, welcoming diverse perspectives, learning from different communities, making space for marginalized voices, and eliminating barriers. Established in 2017, C4DISC’s vision is a socially just community that welcomes, values, and celebrates all who seek to contribute to scholarly communications. Organizations can participate in C4DISC as members or partners, and individuals can contribute to C4DISC initiatives by volunteering for working groups and making donations. C4DISC is governed by a steering committee made up of representatives from member organizations. Host organizations, the Association of University Presses (AUPresses) and the Society for Scholarly Publishing (SSP) provide accounting and technology support.
- Serve as the main point of contact for the community (20%)
- Manage email inquiries (meetings, presentations, questions, etc.)
- Acknowledge receipt of adoption requests, applications/working group suggestions, etc.
- Act as liaison between the steering committee and host organization
- Acknowledge partners and donors formally
- Onboard members and volunteers
- Support recruiting and fundraising efforts
- Website management (15%)
- Add adopting organizations, donors, partners, and members to the website
- Post news items, resources, and governance documents to the website (WordPress)
- Edit and add content to the website
- Information Collection and Management (20%)
- Manage lists of the various stakeholders (members, partners, volunteers, donors, etc.)
- Track working group suggestions and respond to suggestions regarding status
- Track volunteer requests and working group rosters
- Manage online records/file storage (Google Drive)
- Communications Management (25%)
- Coordinate with Communications and Outreach Working Group
- Develop and post social media content
- Prepare and distribute regular communications
- Manage online community channels; Google Group(s); approving members, moderation, etc.
- Webinar and Online Event Management (10%)
- Coordinate with working groups to organize and host online events
- Steering Committee Coordination (10%)
- Schedule meetings
- Record and distribute minutes
- Assist with creating and distributing agendas
As C4DISC grows, this position has the potential to expand in scope and hours to include additional opportunities such as grant writing, in-person event management, and overseeing market research initiatives.
Successful candidates will have a strong commitment to advancing DE&I in scholarly communications and the following professional qualities:
- Proficiency in developing written communications for a variety of audiences and verbal communications within groups; strong English language skills required
- Strong organizational skills; ability to plan for and keep track of multiple projects and deadlines
- Able to work independently, from home or location of choice; self-starter that can prioritize tasks and manage their time efficiently and effectively to meet deadlines
- Experience with business software (G Suite, Excel, Zoom, GoToMeeting, WordPress, etc.)
- Knowledge of marketing strategies and tactics; familiarity with a variety of marketing channel distribution
- Able to effectively work with and through volunteers and stakeholders to accomplish C4DISC’s projects and goals
- Resourceful and flexible; able to accomplish goals on a limited budget though creative solutions
Compensation for this position is US$13,500 annually. The contractor must provide their own tools, supplies, and office space in the performance of the work as an independent contractor. This position can be based anywhere and will work virtually with C4DISC stakeholders.The position does not qualify for benefits, including without limitation worker’s compensation, disability insurance, health insurance, vacation, or sick pay. The contractor is responsible for their federal, state, and local taxes and is free to accept other work that is not perceived to be in direct conflict with C4DISC.
We welcome applications from a diverse range of backgrounds and perspectives. If you’d like to work with the C4DISC community to get this exciting new initiative off the ground, please submit a resume/CV and letter of interest to C4DISC@gmail.com by November 25. Interviews will be conducted via video by members of the steering committee.
C4DISC is an equal opportunity partner that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.