The C4DISC Community Administrator is a part-time contractor role estimated as 8-10 hours of activity per week with the workload varying from week to week. The role of the administrator is to carry out the day-to-day business of C4DISC and support the community in its work. The administrator serves as an ex-officio member of the C4DISC steering committee and reports to the C4DISC convener and the host organizations.
The Coalition for Diversity and Inclusion in Scholarly Communications (C4DISC) is an international alliance of scholarly communications organizations that is collaborating to work towards a common goal of increasing diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility in scholarly communications while valuing differences, welcoming diverse perspectives, learning from different communities, making space for marginalized voices, and eliminating barriers. Established in 2017, C4DISC’s vision is a socially just community that welcomes, values, and celebrates all who seek to contribute to scholarly communications. Organizations can participate in C4DISC as members or partners, and individuals can contribute to C4DISC initiatives by volunteering for working groups and making donations. C4DISC is governed by a steering committee made up of representatives from member organizations. Host organizations, the Association of University Presses (AUPresses) and the Society for Scholarly Publishing (SSP) provide accounting and technology support.
- Serve as the main point of contact for the community (20%)
- Manage email inquiries (meetings, presentations, questions, etc.)
- Acknowledge receipt of Statement of Principles adoption requests, applications/working group suggestions, etc.
- Act as liaison between the steering committee and host organizations
- Acknowledge partners and donors formally
- Onboard members and volunteers
- Support recruiting and fundraising efforts
- Website management (15%)
- Keep website up to date with current lists of adopting organizations, members, partners, donors, Steering Committee members, and committee/working group members
- Post news items, resources, and governance documents to the website (WordPress)
- Add content to the website and update as necessary
- Information Collection and Management (20%)
- Manage lists of the various stakeholders (members, partners, volunteers, donors, etc.)
- Track working group suggestions and communicate with suggesters as necessary
- Track volunteer requests and working group rosters
- Manage online records/file storage (Google Drive)
- Communications Management (25%)
- Coordinate with Communications and Outreach Working Group
- Develop and post social media content
- Prepare and distribute regular communications
- Manage online community channels; Google Group(s); approving members, moderation, etc.
- Webinar and Online Event Management (10%)
- Coordinate with working groups to organize and host online events
- Steering Committee and Working Group Coordination (10%)
- Schedule meetings for the Steering Committee and other groups as needed
- Record and distribute minutes for Steering Committee, assist with notetaking at other group meetings as needed/available
- Assist with creating and distributing agendas for Steering Committee meetings
As C4DISC grows, this position has the potential to expand in scope and hours to include additional opportunities such as grant writing, in-person event management, and overseeing market research initiatives.
Successful candidates will have a strong commitment to advancing DE&I in scholarly communications and the following professional qualities:
- Proficiency in developing written communications for a variety of audiences and verbal communications within groups; strong English language skills required
- Strong organizational skills; ability to plan for and keep track of multiple projects and deadlines
- Able to work independently, from home or location of choice; self-starter that can prioritize tasks and manage their time efficiently and effectively to meet deadlines
- Experience with business software (G Suite, Excel, Zoom, GoToMeeting, WordPress, etc.)
- Knowledge of marketing strategies and tactics; familiarity with a variety of marketing channel distribution
- Able to effectively work with and through volunteers and stakeholders to accomplish C4DISC’s projects and goals
- Resourceful and flexible; able to accomplish goals on a limited budget though creative solutions
Compensation for this position is US$13,500 annually. The contractor must provide their own tools, supplies, and office space in the performance of the work as an independent contractor. This position can be based anywhere and will work virtually with C4DISC stakeholders.The position does not qualify for benefits, including without limitation worker’s compensation, disability insurance, health insurance, vacation, or sick pay. The contractor is responsible for their federal, state, and local taxes and is free to accept other work that is not perceived to be in direct conflict with C4DISC.
We welcome applications from a diverse range of backgrounds and perspectives. If you’d like to work with the C4DISC community, please submit a resume/CV and letter of interest to C4DISC@gmail.com by November 30th. Interviews will be conducted via video call by members of the steering committee.
C4DISC is an equal opportunity partner that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.